When the porta potty tips over, it can be a real mess to clean up. Luckily, there are a few different ways you can clean up porta potty waste without any damage to yourself or the environment.
Before you begin the cleanup process, make sure that all the waste is contained properly and securely. You will also want to make sure that the area is safe and that no one else can access it while you are cleaning it up.
In this guide, we will discuss what to do when the porta potty tips over and how to avoid such a situation.
Why do porta potties tip over?
Porta potties have stabilizers on the bottom that help them keep their balance. If the ground isn’t level or if another object is in the way of these stabilizers, then there’s a chance that your porta potty will tip over.
If there’s too much weight in one area, then this can also cause your porta potty to tip over. For instance, if someone uses the toilet as an anchor point and leans against it, then this can put pressure on the side of the porta potty and cause it to tip.
What should you do if your porta potty tips over?
- The first action you should take if your porta potty tips over is to call the company that delivered the portable restroom and report the incident. If the tipping of the porta potty was due to a driver who was delivering your unit, then it’s likely that you will have to deal with the trucking company rather than your porta potty rental company.
- The second step is to check for any damage or injuries associated with the tipping of your porta potty. If you or someone else is injured, call the emergency number right away. Do not enter a tipped over porta potty until it has been deemed safe by a professional.
- If there is no damage or injury to report, then you can proceed to clean up any waste that may have spilled out onto the ground around the portable restroom. You should also look at how much waste is still remain in the unit itself, and assess whether it needs to be cleaned out or completely replaced.
- Consider whether it would be more feasible to clean out the rest of the waste that remains in the tipped over porta potty, or if you want another unit sent out instead. It all depends on how much waste was released from spilling onto the ground, and how much remains in your portable restroom.
- If you have to clean up spilled waste, be sure to use the proper safety gear, including gloves and a face mask. You will also want to avoid coming into contact with any of the waste if at all possible.
- To clean up the spilled waste, use a shovel or rake to collect it and place it into a sealable container. Be sure to double bag any waste that you collect, as it is considered hazardous material. If there is any liquid waste, put it into a separate container and label it “hazardous material”.
- Once you have collected all the spilled waste, dispose of it in an approved landfill or incinerator. Do not pour it down the drain or onto the ground – this could contaminate the environment and cause serious health hazards.
In summary, if your porta potty does tip over, there are some things you can do to clean it up and get it back in working order:
- Turn the porta potty back upright if possible
- Scoop out any excess waste material that may have spilled out
- Wipe down the interior with a disinfectant wipe
- Let the unit dry completely before using it again
- If there is any waste liquid, put it into a separate container and label it “hazardous material”
- Dispose of the waste in an approved landfill or incinerator
- Call the porta potty rental company to report the incident and get another unit if necessary.
How can you avoid porta potty tipping over?
One of the main ways to avoid your porta potty tipping over is to make sure it’s properly weighted down. If you’re using the porta potty on grass or a soft surface, use sandbags or rocks to keep it in place. You can also put the porta potty on a stable platform, like a small table.
Porta potty can tip over for a variety of reasons, but it’s important to know what to do if it happens. If the porta potty is tipped over and the waste tank is open, all the contents will probably spill out. If this happens, you need to take the steps above to clean up the mess as quickly as possible.
No matter what happens, always remember to stay safe and avoid contact with any of the waste material.